Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Snow Flurries?

Yes, I know it's December tomorrow.  I have some catching up to do with this blog.  Today we saw the first snow flurries and it reminded me of two of my favorite crabapples.  I don't know the variety, I'm afraid, but they are old, grand, gracious ladies.


The homeowners have elected to let them grow pretty much to the ground.  How wonderful to live in this fragrant bower!  I suspect that they are elderly, so this year I pulled over a took a picture.  I don't know how long these trees will be around to enjoy, but they seem to be fairly apple scap resistant.  This picture was taken on April 20, which is nearly a month earlier than they should be blooming.  It's been a record warm year for us. I drive by this house almost every day, so I'm keeping an eye out to see what happens.  In the meantime, I take great pleasure in the flurry of silvery pink and white petals that appears every year.  Now, the leaves are gone and you can enjoy the layered architecture and flaky bark.

No comments:

Post a Comment