Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thoughts of Spring in a January Snow



We got about five inches of powder last night and as I was shoveling the driveway this morning, I was fondly remembering our trip to Volo Bog this past May.  It was that perfect sort of day - not too hot and not too cold.  Plants were bursting out of the ground, birds were singing, and frogs jumping.  We saw a couple of sandhill cranes hiding in the rushes and pretty much had the place to ourselves.  I was in seventh heaven because this wonderful bog is filled with plants that I don't know the names of.  They have a very nice visitor center with kind staff who put up with plant geek me.  If you're looking for a day trip, I highly recommend it, just keep in mind some of the floating boardwalks might get a bit tricky.  They can be a bit warped in places, but it is amazing to be able to walk out over this rare type of quaking bog.

Remember robins?

Shooting star or Dodecatheon meadia, one of our native wildflowers.


The lush path 

No comments:

Post a Comment