Monday, May 27, 2013

Someone Stop Me, Please

Frequently, us folks in horticulture tend to be plant collectors. Some can even be plant hoarders. I have wonderful co-workers, but a couple of them still have plants in pots going on four, five years now. Step away from the plant sale, people!

I'll admit to being a bit of a collector, and it doesn't help that I get a discount at the garden center where I work. However, I have a hard time saying 'no' to free or half-off plants, which leads me to the current dilemna - where do I put these?

From left to right:
  • a Regal geranium that blooms purple and white and was too pretty to not come home with me. It'll be covered in flowers again in a week.
  • the pot of pansies and miscellaneous annual that I planted because I needed something cheerful.
  • a Red Dragon contorted filbert from The Morton Arboretum half-off plant sale because, really, it's too cool!
  • a baby weeping beech from that same plant sale because my husband loves them. What? It'll be 30 by 30 feet, but I'll be like 90 or something by then. I can just prune it! (Famous last words.)
  • a Red Charm peony that I bought myself as a 40th birthday present because I've been eyeing it for years.
  • a baby trident maple that was being given away by the Plant Clinic staff (there may be more, if you want one) because it was FREE and needed a good home.
This does not include the chamaecyparis my other boss gave me, wild impatiens and trout lily from a co-worker, and the few edibles going in pots. Fortunately, because I work with a bunch of crazy plant people, I can pawn the free maple tree off on my boss. He's got space. I'm running out of room for trees. Dammit.


  1. Heather...I'll take the maple and add it to my collection of plants in pots for 4 years!

  2. Ha! My boss was very happy to have it, even it's sort of sad little grocery sack.

  3. Lucky for me, I do not hoard plants. If I do not have a place for them, I don't get them. However, I do admit there are times I want to get rid of existant plants to make room for more. They can be addictive. :-)