Thursday, March 17, 2011

Invite the Garden In: Tablescapes

I love a pretty table setting.  I adore dishes.  I swoon over linens.  So it is with great interest that I wander through the tablescape exhibits at the Chicago Flower & Garden Show.  When I entertain, there are flowers or some kind of plant decoration involved, and I like to get new ideas.

Dramatic, elegant, a punch of color

For me, the above setting is very urban chic.  The clusters of yellow daisies should be fairly easy to do with some wet floral foam and floral wire if the daisy stems aren't stiff enough to pierce the foam.  I like this because of the dramatic use of one color.  The yellow just really jumps out at you.

Very spring!

I found this centerpiece quite lovely and I liked the element of blue wire wrapping the tulip especially.  For me, this is a nice fresh take on a spring bouquet, and again, fairly easy to do.  Remember, wet floral foam is your best friend for striking arrangements. With this type of arrangement, you need to think about simplicity in form and the rule of odd numbers.  There's only five tulips and five yellow flowers, but the way they are placed gives it a sense of rhythm and movement, yet it's playful too.

Speaking of playful...

Flowers as food?

This is just fun with carnations.  The nice part about carnations is that they are very long-lasting and easy on the pocket book. These managed to hang out in the hot dog buns for a week and still look pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment