Friday, March 11, 2011

Whimsy in Plants: The Chicago Flower & Garden Show

I have the pleasure of once again working at the Chicago Flower & Garden Show.  I have so far managed not to buy too much from our fellow vendors, but I still have a couple of days to go. This year the gardens are smaller, but still are filled with interesting plants and intriguing gardening ideas.  The theme is sports, which gets expressed in a number of ways.  However, this is my favorite:

Alice?  Paging Alice!


A winning shot?

The Illinois Orchid Society's exhibit is entitled 'A Curious Croquet-Ground'.  Christy Webber, Aquascape, and Rich's Foxwillow Pines all do wonderful gardens, but I love the outsized imagination of this.  Maybe I have orchids on the brain, but I am very charmed by this garden. Where else but at a garden show can you do big, fantastic whimsy?  I find the garden show gives me a fresh look at how to work with plants and spaces, not to mention a burst of flowers to get me through the winter. There's still another weekend of the show, so if you can, stop by and soak in a little spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment