Sunday, January 22, 2017

Janustory Day 20, 21, 22...

Janustory Day 20: At last I have reached the leaf litter below and I pause to take in this strange huge new landscape.

Janustory Day 21: Each crooked stem, green leaf, and grain of gritty soil has become an entirely new country and I am a foreigner.

Janustory Day 22: I wonder where my other intrepid team members landed after our laboratory shrinking and if they are entirely lost or also exploring.

#janustory #wordcount22

Good heavens, I am behind! This is what happens when I wander down the rabbit hole of an old short story idea. Finally, yesterday, we were treated to sunshine and nearly 60 degrees. As I shoveled the mysterious muck of soil, gravel, and clay back into the hole around our brand spanking new sewer access hatch, birds were singing and squirrels scampering. The new trench went through part of a flower bed, and I was delighted to find a chunk of one of my favorite cranesbills (Geranium sanguineum var. striatum) lurking in the pile of soil. I've tossed it back in the bed with a scoop of dirt and we'll see if it makes it. It's quite possible. They are very tough plants.

The hackberry (Celtis occidentalis) and Dave the Elm (Ulmus davidiana) soak in the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment